| Job Reference||CAR/FDST/SEP2021|
| Working Hours||Full-time (37.5 hours/week) |
| Contract Type||Permanent |
Remote or Carallon offices, Ealing Broadway, London W5 (The post holder may be able to perform some of their work remotely, at the discretion of their line manager)
About the Fixture Database
The Fixture Database Service provides fixture data for some of the entertainment lighting industry's biggest names, including ETC, MA Lighting and Chroma Q. We create fixture definitions encompassing DMX and RDM data, media images, colour matching information and physical models. Our work is used in everything from school nativity plays and amateur dramatics right through to live event tours and West End and Broadway shows. We take pride in our place in such a broad spectrum of creative endeavour and strive to provide a high-quality service which gives our customers the tools they need to produce innovative lighting control solutions.
We are interested in hearing from people who are enthusiastic about our work and feel they would be a good fit for our friendly, supportive, and flexible team. We are committed to helping you grow, so if you don’t quite meet every criterion in the job specification, but you think you would be great for this role, please apply and tell us more in your covering letter. We will give you the opportunity to work independently on interesting projects that have a lasting impact on the database, and we work hard to ensure a respectful and collaborative attitude in our day-to-day work.
The Fixture Database Support Technician will work on our database of fixture definitions under the direction of the Fixture Database Manager, as a part of a growing team. This work will involve adding, correcting and updating fixture definitions based on internal testing and external customer requests, for whom they will be a point of contact. As a part of this work, the successful applicant will service support requests, work with the team to further develop our fixture data model, improve database workflow and processes, and be involved in database administration.
This role will suit someone who:
- enjoys taking an analytical approach to problem solving
- can work independently and as a part of a team as required
- is willing to ask questions, seek other opinions and put forward their own thoughts
- can identify inefficiencies in a process and enjoys finding improvements
This role can be performed flexibly in either our Ealing Broadway office or remotely, or a combination of the two.
- Creating and updating fixture definitions for use in lighting consoles
- Updating fixture definitions as new firmware is released
- Correcting errors in fixture definitions as reported or as the data model is updated
- Providing customer support for lighting console manufacturers that subscribe to the database
- Acting as a point of contact between the database service and fixture manufacturers and to otherwise collate fixture information from online sources
- Assisting in the continual development of our fixture model
- Assisting in the improvement of general workflows and processes
- Participating in assessing and scheduling work to be completed to a deadline
- A background in the entertainment industry in either theatre, touring or broadcast, with a bias towards lighting. Familiarity with common types of controllable fixtures, lighting consoles and media servers
- Good analytical skills and the ability to think about data in terms of a model, and to break down complex structures into simpler components
- Some experience using common software development tools e.g. text editors, command line interfaces, etc
- Able to work independently under the guidance of a manager, and as part of a team to meet deadlines
- Experience with a scripting language (e.g. Python), XML or HTML
- Experience using lighting fixtures designed for film and broadcast environments
- Experience using media servers and server projectors
- Experience working in technical support
- STEM qualifications - Any level
Carallon is an (employee-owned) research and development company which creates industry-leading, award-winning products. Based in London, it specialises in industrial hardware and software design for the entertainment industry, encompassing lighting control, LED video processing, and motion control.
Its products are used all over the world for high profile installations and events including the London Eye, Academy Awards, and recent U2, Roger Waters and Ed Sheeran world tours.
The Carallon group encompasses the following companies:
- Carallon Limited, for the development and manufacture of lighting and video processors and devices
- Pharos Architectural Controls Limited, for the distribution and support of a range of lighting control products, used in theme parks and architectural installations worldwide
- Brompton Technology Limited, for the distribution and support of processing solutions for video walls used in concerts, awards shows and film virtual production
- SixEye Limited, a software as a service company providing remote-management solutions for dynamic lighting projects and fixed installations