| Job Reference||CAR/SSD/JAN2020|
| Salary|| dependent on level of experience |
| Working Hours||Full-time (37.5 hours/week) |
| Contract Type||Permanent |
Carallon offices, Ealing Broadway, London W5 (The post holder may be required to work at other locations, at the discretion of their line manager.) We are currently operating on a partial remote working basis.
Please note that we cannot offer visa sponsorship for this post. You must have the right to live and work in the UK before applying for this role.
Carallon is a product research and development company creating industry-leading award-winning products. Based in London, we specialise in industrial hardware and software design for the entertainment industry; encompassing lighting control, LED video processing and motion control. Many of our hardware products have their own integrated user interfaces, while others have accompanying configuration software that runs on desktop or mobile, and we also develop standalone software products.
Projects our team designs and manufactures for include:
- The Pharos Architectural Control range of lighting control products used in theme parks and architectural installations worldwide
- The Martin Professional P3 LED Video Wall processors
- The industry-leading Brompton Technology control and processing solution for video walls used in concerts, award shows and television.
We divide our time between contracting work and developing our own products in-house for distribution to a huge international client base.
As of 2020, Carallon is now owned by an Employee Ownership Trust. As a result, staff can enjoy additional rights and benefits, including an employee council and an annual tax-free bonus scheme (dependent on company performance).
The Software Developer position is within our development team, which works concurrently on a variety of exciting, cutting-edge projects. As the team is growing rapidly we are seeking to increase our capability to develop robust software solutions for the entertainment industry. The Software Developer would work closely with our existing software team to design, develop and integrate application-level solutions to technical challenges within our suite of products.
We offer a very friendly, flexible and supportive working environment. Our development team is close-knit and highly motivated with a keen interest in the products it creates. A successful candidate should be similarly minded to work in the driven, focused environment required to bring original and ground-breaking products to market. It is a unique opportunity to develop engineering solutions that will be used to create spectacular events ranging from televised award shows such as the Oscars, to corporate events for the world's leading brands, to the biggest rock-and-roll tours.
Programming is mainly in C++ using the Qt framework on multiple platforms, and training will be provided where necessary. We are also making increasing use of Python as a secondary support language for scripting, build tools and automation.
- Design and implement software solutions for our suite of products
- Help produce technical product specifications given client/market requirements
- Take responsibility for specific product features and provide regular development updates
- Perform code reviews and help more junior software developers working as part of a team
- Genuine interest in software design and technical challenges
- 2:1 or higher degree in a related subject from a Russell Group university or equivalent
- At least 3 years of experience working as software engineer using C++
- Excellent knowledge of C and C++
- Familiarity with development using the Qt toolkit
- Attention to detail
- Ability to discuss prior design work and explain the design processes involved and justify decisions made
- Ability to communicate ideas and concepts effectively in spoken and written English within a technical environment
- Evidence of the ability to work as part of a team, sharing skills, experience and interests with colleagues
- Excellent time management, including the ability to prioritise conflicting tasks appropriately
- Knowledge of Git and Gerrit version control and code review tools
- Experience working with video or lighting for live entertainment
- Experience with any of the following: TCP/IP-based networking, Python, Jenkins build system, Linux
For any queries about this vacancy please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org quoting job reference DEC2020/SSW/CAR. Please do not use this address to submit applications.