Job Reference: BR/SPC/NOV23
Salary: Competitive, depending on experience
Working Hours: Full-time / Part-time working arrangements will be considered
Location: Chiswick, West London. Whilst we would expect the successful candidate to spend the majority of their working week at the company’s Chiswick headquarters, flexible and hybrid working opportunities are available.
Brompton Technology is an Emmy® award-winning technology company based in Chiswick, West London, specialising in the development and manufacture of world-leading LED video processing technology. Brompton Technology’s processing solutions are used in some of the world’s most demanding applications, including the highest profile live events and at the cutting edge of virtual production for film and television.
Founded and led by a team of engineers, our company is close-knit and highly motivated. We take great pride in the products we create.
We are now seeking a skilled and experienced patent attorney to join our dynamic team and support our intellectual property strategy.
As Brompton Technology’s in-house Senior Patent Counsel, you will be responsible for managing all aspects of the company's patent portfolio. Your role will involve working closely with internal teams, including R&D, engineering, and legal, as well as external counsel to identify, protect, and enforce intellectual property related to our market-leading LED video processing innovations. You will also help with other aspects of the company’s expanding international intellectual property portfolio, including registered design rights and trademarks.
As Senior Patent Counsel, you will report to the company’s General Counsel and work directly with the CTO and other senior members of the company’s R&D and leadership teams.
- Strategically manage and develop the company's current and future patent portfolio
- Conduct thorough patent searches and analysis to assess patentability, validity, and infringement risk
- Draft, file, and prosecute patent applications to secure and protect the company's innovations, working with our external advisers where necessary (including in relation to international registration of relevant patents)
- Collaborate with the R&D team and senior management to identify inventions and provide guidance on patent strategy
- Evaluate potential infringements and provide guidance on enforcement action
- Advise on other intellectual property matters and strategy, including registration of design rights and trademarks
- Stay updated on the latest developments in patent and IP law and regulation, ensuring compliance and maximising protection of the company's intellectual property.
Essential Qualifications and Skills
- UK and European qualified patent attorney (or equivalent fully qualified patent attorney) with a strong technical background, preferably with a degree in engineering, computer science, or a related field
- 4+ years post-qualification experience
- Extensive experience in patent drafting, prosecution, and portfolio management, particularly within the fields of electronics and software
- Ability to embed effectively within the Brompton R&D team to understand and assimilate sufficient technical knowledge of complex innovations to independently draft patents for internal and external review
- In-depth knowledge of UK patent laws and procedures, with a good working knowledge of international patent systems
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to assess complex technical and legal issues
- Strong communication skills to effectively interact with internal teams, external counsel, and key stakeholders
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and work effectively in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Familiarity with software and hardware aspects of electronic control systems
- Familiarity with colour science
- Interest/experience in the entertainment industry.
Join our innovative team at Brompton Technology and contribute to protecting and advancing our ground-breaking LED video processing technology. We offer a stimulating work environment, competitive remuneration, and opportunities for professional growth and development. The position would be ideally suited for experienced patent attorneys looking for a first in-house role, as well as existing in-house patent attorneys looking for a new challenge.
Brompton Technology is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in the workplace. We encourage all qualified individuals to apply.